[ The PC Guide ]
The PC Guide Live Chat Channel - Introduction
As a service to the readers of The PC Guide, since September 2000 the site has operated
The PC Guide Discussion Forums, which is a
system of bulletin boards where you can post questions, or discuss PC issues. In addition,
The PC Guide is now offerin a live chat channel for real-time discussions, solving
problems that require interaction, and just socializing. The live chat uses the IRC
network. IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat and is a world-wide chat system. You
can read a bit more about it here, and a lot more
about it on this site.
PLEASE READ EVERYTHING ON THIS PAGE BEFORE PROCEEDING!
Warning: IRC is a very useful tool
and can be a lot of fun as well. However, it also has some downsides, due to the fact that
it is an unmoderated place where pretty much "anything goes". The vast majority
of the time, you will have no problems in using IRC. However, before participating, please
read and understand the following warnings, to ensure that you are informed:
- I do not recommend the use of IRC by unsupervised minors, period, as a
general rule of thumb.
- IRC is an unmoderated chat system. Anyone can create a channel to discuss any topic. As
a result, there are some channels on any IRC system that cover topics that might be
illegal in the place where you live, or that you may consider unsavory. These discussions
are not allowed in The PC Guide Live Chat Channel, but may occur in other channels.
- The PC Guide Live Chat Channel is maintained and managed by operators who ascribe to a
code of conduct, and who enforce the rules set down for the channel to the best of their
ability (see below). However, the actual use of the channel is not moderated, so
it is possible that someone may say something you consider offensive at some point. Also,
it is not possible for an operator to be present on the channel 24 hours a day, seven days
a week. There may be periods of time when the channel does not have an operator present.
- When on IRC, you may be solicited to join other channels, or people may try to send you
files or messages. There is no way to control such behavior on the part of others unknown
to us. It is best to ignore such people.
- NEVER accept files from people you don't know!
- NEVER give out personal information like your address, phone number of
passwords to strangers!
- We cannot control what sort of advice is given on the channel. You are responsible for
any actions you take as a result of recommendations given on the channel.
The PC Guide, and its owners and operators, do not control the IRC network. We
cannot and will not be held responsible for anything that occurs when you are using IRC.
You use IRC at your own risk, and must decide for yourself whether and how to participate.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless The PC Guide, its owners and operators, with
respect to any claim related to the use of IRC or other online systems.
The following are the rules of conduct for the channel. In using The PC Guide Live Chat
- Agree to always speak in a respectful and courteous manner, and engage in no personal
attacks, slurs or other anti-social behavior.
- Agree to never post to the channel any material that is knowingly false, and/or
defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, profane, hateful, harassing, sexually-oriented,
threatening, invasive of someone's privacy, or in violation of any law. The definition of
"profanity" in use for the channel is basically "anything that wouldn't be
allowed on network television".
- Agree to keep discussions on topic for a channel about computers. Off-topic discussions
are allowed if the channel is not busy, but only if they are not controversial and do
not lead to arguments. No "hot-button" topics on controversial subjects
like religion, politics, and so on, please.
- Agree to listen to the channel operators, and follow their requests and instructions.
- Agree to not "flood" the channel. Do not cut and paste long strings of text to
the channel, as this disrupts other users. Do not post in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS as this
- Agree not to use the channel for commercial or solicitation purposes. This includes, but
is not limited to, commercial advertisements, pyramid schemes, chain letters, and
invitations to other IRC channels, all of which are prohibited.
- Agree to never use the channel for any sort of behavior that could be considered
illegal. No sharing of pirated software, or pornography, or other illegal activities, or
discussing such activities.
Please choose one:
Home - Search
- Topics - Up