[ The PC Guide | Site Guide
| Version History and Old Site Updates ]
Old Site Updates - January 2000
January 31, 2000:
- Work Proceeding: Man, did I ever bite off more than I could chew with
this latest update. I ended up overhauling and greatly expanding a couple of sections of
the site and it has taken me two weeks working 12+ hours a day longer than I expected. I
think the results will be worthwhile, however. So I thank you again for your patience. :^)
I still expect to be done by the end of this week.
- More Anykey Keyboards Needed: I am looking for some more 124-key
Gateway Anykey keyboards. If you have one in very good condition that you might trade for
a new Disk Edition license or CD-ROM, or sell to me for a reasonable price,
please let me know. Thanks.
January 28, 2000:
- Minor Outage: System problems at my hosting site, pair Networks, caused the site to be inaccessible for
about an hour yesterday morning. The systems folks at pair corrected the problem with
their usual speed and skill. My apologies to anyone who was inconvenienced.
January 26, 2000:
- Update on the Update: I had said that the next update would be ready
this week, and I really, really wanted it to be. Unfortunately, a combination of the
changes I am doing for this update being more complex than I anticipated, problems around
the house, and some surprisingly strange weather have taken their toll. Rather than rush
things out, I am taking another week to ensure that the quality level of the sections I am
revising will please you, and hoping that I will be done sometime next week. Thanks for
your patience, I think you will find the results worthwhile.
January 18, 2000:
- Funtime in Freezetown: It was -10ºF when I returned home yesterday
from being out of town. To the basement I went, to discover much to my horror that my
basement door had somehow popped open (probably due to contraction from temperature
changes) and much of what was down there, including my pipes, were frozen. When the pipes
thawed, things got worse. :^( Due in part to this, the next update that I had planned for
this coming weekend will be delayed for a few days. My current target date for the update,
including the new Disk Edition (and its new features) will be around January 27, 1999.
Thanks for your patience, and, well... stay warm. :^)
January 9, 2000:
- Hold On To Your Hats: Hi folks! This is a small update, bit it also
marks a new beginning for the site. I am embarking on an ambitious update and expansion
program for The PC Guide that will see new technologies and many useful illustrations
added to the site over the next few months. Enjoy, and as always, your feedback is most welcome.
- Disk Edition Update: Woah, the current version of the Disk Edition, V1.8, is getting old (January 1999). To correct
this, I will be releasing the February 2000 version (V1.11) in about two weeks. This new
version will reflect the new structure of the site and will with some luck have a couple
of new features. I will post more information when the new version is released. At the
same time, I will be updating the Disk Edition information on this site. Part of this will
be making it easier to figure out how to order the Disk Edition, based on feedback from a
couple of frustrated readers. Sorry! :^) In the meanwhile, you may feel free to
order the current version or pre-order the new version. See here
for more details.
- Cleanups and Corrections: I focused this week on dozens of small
problems on the site that had piled up waiting for me to work on them. Typos, spelling
mistakes, technical glitches, and bad links were all fixed in droves. :^) Many thanks to
those who take the time to report problems.
- New Computer Resource Reference Link: I added a link to The Computer Information Center. This site
is an enormous directory of links to net resources on a myriad of computer-related topics.
- New Hardware Site Link: I linked to MaximumHardware.com, a very nice review
and performance web site that has been around longer than most.
- Another New Hardware Site Link: I added a link to UncaMilty's Web Site. This is a new site
which will focus on limited reviews and other topics. The author has also written a useful
article that reviews some other review sites.
- BIOS Resource Link: I added a link to The BIOS Companion, Phil
Croucher's excellent book. Available for sale in print or online, it is probably the best
place for truly detailed BIOS information.
January 2, 2000:
- Happy New Year: My wishes for a Happy New Year to all my readers! I
hope you have a happy, prosperous, successful and crash-free new year! :^)
- The Year Ahead: The coming year is one that holds great promise for The
PC Guide. After taking a much-needed break to refresh myself and finish up some family
projects, I am gearing up to really hit the site hard starting this month. Expect more new
articles, more graphics, and an updating of many reference pages whose updates, I must
admit, are long overdue. Thanks to everyone for your loyalty to the site, I greatly
Site Updates - December 1999
Home - Search
- Topics - Up