Learn about the technologies behind the Internet with The TCP/IP Guide!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
View over 750 of my fine art photos any time for free at DesktopScenes.com!

Tips Of The Day For April 2001

Tip Of The Day For April 24, 2001: When using FTP software to transfer binary files--which includes almost anything other than regular text documents--be sure that the FTP connection is set to binary mode. Otherwise the FTP client may add or strip away end-of-line characters as the file is transferred, corrupting it and forcing you to have to try again.

Tip Of The Day For April 17, 2001: If your system uses the Windows NT or Windows 2000 operating system, you have a powerful file system option available to you: the New Technology File System or NTFS. This alternative to the conventional "FAT" file system used under Windows 9x and ME offers advanced features and capabilities. If you are interested in learning more, you can read all about the NTFS file system in this new Reference Guide section.

Tip Of The Day For April 14, 2001: Are you in the market for a new PC but on a tight budget? Perhaps you aren't sure if you can afford to get a new machine, or indeed, if you even really need one?.If so, you may find this section of The PC Buyer's Guide helpful!

Tip Of The Day For April 10, 2001: There are times when you want to edit a simple text file, rather than using a more complex word processing document format. Text editors let you do this rather simply. The DOS command line program "EDIT" is built into most versions of Windows, as is Notepad. However, these programs are limited in functionality. Another option is to use a word processor and save the file in text only format. I sometimes use Microsoft Word in this manner myself, as it makes editing a bit easier than using a simplified text editor.

Home  -  Search  -  Topics  -  Up

The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Site Version: 2.2.0 - Version Date: April 17, 2001
Copyright 1997-2004 Charles M. Kozierok. All Rights Reserved.

Not responsible for any loss resulting from the use of this site.
Please read the Site Guide before using this material.
Custom Search