Learn about the technologies behind the Internet with The TCP/IP Guide!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
View over 750 of my fine art photos any time for free at DesktopScenes.com!

Tips Of The Day For July 2001

Tip Of The Day For July 27, 2001: The Internet is literally being overrun by the W32.SirCam worm. This virus-like program spreads by attaching itself to randomly-selected files form an infected system's PC, which it then sends to all the email addresses in the host's Microsoft Outlook address book, prepended with a message like "I send you this file to get your advice". Since I am someone who gets email from a lot of different people, I have been getting dozens of these large attachments on a daily basis. To avoid getting this worm, be sure not to open ANY attachments, even from friends, unless you know exactly what they are. Also make sure your anti-virus software is up to date. If you get a copy of the worm from someone, tell them; I have been sending links to this story about the worm from CNet.

Tip Of The Day For July 6, 2001: Have you emptied out your browser's cache lately? I was recently using a family member's PC, which seemed to be running rather slowly. I checked the directory that contained the browser cache on that machine and was stunned to find over 22,000 files that took up a whopping 190 MB of disk space! You can empty the browser cache by going into your browser's options or preferences screen and following the menus. While you are there, it might be a good idea to check the option that limits the size of the browser cache.

Home  -  Search  -  Topics  -  Up

The PC Guide (http://www.PCGuide.com)
Site Version: 2.2.0 - Version Date: April 17, 2001
Copyright 1997-2004 Charles M. Kozierok. All Rights Reserved.

Not responsible for any loss resulting from the use of this site.
Please read the Site Guide before using this material.
Custom Search