PDA

View Full Version : How to format unix os hard disk?

Sid Alam
08-04-2002, 03:08 PM
I have a hard disk which has unix os.
How can I format it so it has no Operating System on it?

mjc
08-04-2002, 03:46 PM
You want to wipe the drive clean and start over...

First you need to remove any existing partitions, this can be done in several ways, probably the easiest being to use the drive manufacturers zero fill. It goes on a bootable floppy and will overwrite the entire drive with zeros.

Then when that is done. You pick what operating system will be using the drive and format so that one can use it. Building any partitions you want with that OS's partitioning utility first....

Sid Alam
08-04-2002, 04:13 PM
> You want to wipe the drive clean and start over...

Yes and install Windows XP

> probably the easiest being to use the drive manufacturers zero fill.

:confused:

>It goes on a bootable floppy and will overwrite the entire drive with zeros.

How???

> Building any partitions you want with that OS's partitioning utility first....

Do no want any partitions

mjc
08-04-2002, 04:27 PM
You download the program from the manufactures site and run it, (usually it is something that must be done in Windows), it will prompt you to place a disk in the floppy drive and go from there....

You need to set the boot order to floppy first, in BIOS.

Sid Alam
08-04-2002, 04:56 PM
>You download the program from the manufactures site and run it,

My HD is Fujitsu
What is the name of this program so I can do a search?

>(usually it is something that must be done in Windows),

Wouldn't this be a little difficult as I have Linux Mandrake installed on it?

john5211
08-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Hi Sid,

If you want to install Windows XP on the computer, another way to do it is to just start the XP installation process (by putting the XP CD in the CD Rom Drive and setting the computer to boot from the CD).

XP will not recognize the linux partitions, and should give you the option to reformat the hard drive as a single NTFS or FAT32 partition.

This doesn't do as good a job of wiping data off the drive (as opposed to the method that MJC suggested, which actually deletes the old data), but it gets the job done.

John

john5211
08-04-2002, 06:07 PM
For even more options on how to proceed, Microsoft has an article (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314458) (suprising,eh :) )describing how to switch from linux to Windows XP.

John

mjc
08-04-2002, 09:08 PM
Of course, had to be a Fujitsu...their site is so hard to find anything on. :rolleyes:

What would have been very easy with just about any other drive, is not so easy on a Fujitsu.

The options John listed are pretty good ones too!

Sid Alam
08-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Thanks John, I have a feeling this will work.
But a little weary about the latter comment.

>This doesn't do as good a job of wiping data off the drive.

I would like to do a clean wipe if possible as MJC has said.
Anybody knows?

I guess I could try John's method and to reassure my self after it has been installed to do a clean wipe by "Windows boot disk" and then reinstall.

But seems awfully long, so thus could anyone help?

mjc
08-05-2002, 11:04 AM
Wipe and Zap will do the job, but they don't do the whole drive. Wipe zeros up to 8GB and Zap wipes out the first 128 sectors ... http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm