PDA

View Full Version : Google Phone Book

Lucias_Clay
05-16-2003, 02:52 PM
This is something I got in in an e-mail.

Take a look at the note below - if you go to www.google.com and type in your telephone number it will actually pull up directions to your house. With caller ID available anyone can track you. But there is a way to have your number removed. Please read below.

Go to www.google.com then type in your phone number (separated by hyphens, including area code) and click on Google Search. If your phone number is listed, it will show your name and address and give you two map options:
Yahoo and MapQuest. See how accurate the map is to your home. VERY SCARY!!!

Any person wishing to discover the physical location of a phone number, be it a home or business address, could use this feature to locate a physical street address, and receive directions on how to get there from anywhere in the country. In the age of the internet communication we all know the dangers of this - for adults and CHILDREN! People you do not even know will not only have your name and phone number but they will also have complete and accurate directions to your home.

Google has made available an option that will allow anyone to REMOVE their telephone number from the database that is linked to the mapping feature.

You will first need to check if your number is listed in this manner by attempting a search-entering your full telephone number separated by dashes (e.g. 555-555-5555). If the number appears in the mapping database, an icon resembling a telephone will appear next to the first or second entry on the results page. Clicking on this icon will take you to a page containing a description of the service, and a link to request your number be removed from the database.

So far unlisted numbers and cell phone numbers, do not show up.

PLEASE, TAKE A MOMENT TO CHECK YOUR OWN PHONE NUMBERS & FORWARD THIS ON TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS- YOUR LOVED ONES WILL NOT MIND GETTING THIS EMAIL!

It seems that if your number is unlisted, it doesn't affect you IF you unlisted your number right off the bat, however, If you have changed your number to unlisted, this pertains to you.

Budfred
05-16-2003, 03:49 PM
We had another thread about this recently and unfortunately, removing your info from Google doesn't do much because it is on a whole bunch of others and most do not offer the option to remove. It may still be worthwhile to remove it, but anyone who wants to track you down can still probably do it unless you move, get rid of all electronic communication devices and don't tell the post office where you are. Of course you may then have bill collectors out tracking you and they can be more persistant than bloodhounds...:D

Steve
05-16-2003, 04:35 PM
If you call the telephone company with a number, they will give you the name and address of the person. Pretty easy.

There's more info about all of us out there than you would think. ;)

steveo
05-16-2003, 05:53 PM
There's more info about all of us out there than you would think.

***Pine Gap's computers collects all the information secured in United States/Australia, not only about finance and technology, but on every aspect of life of its citizens. Pine Gap, involved in both Echelon and "Star Wars", receives information from three geo-stationary satellites over the Indian Ocean, and another satellite above Indonesia and can intercept a range of microwave communications including cellphone, telephone, telex, the Internet, mobile radio and radar transmitters from around the world. Pine Gap is located 19k southwest of Alice Springs.***

Vic 970
05-16-2003, 06:20 PM
doesn't seem to work for uk (yet) but here's another .com which includes unlisted & mobiles

http://www.reversephonedirectory.com/

Budfred
05-16-2003, 06:23 PM
steveo,

What are you quoting from???

Edit: Warning: That last link has a couple of popups attached...

Lucias_Clay
05-17-2003, 12:13 AM
Yes I realize that the problem is wide spread but you have to start somewhere. I did'nt realize that this had alrady been brought up.
To me privacy is everything. So this may be a minor problem but it is a start.

steveo
05-17-2003, 01:35 AM
What are you quoting from???

It's not a quote because PG, like other facilities of its ilk (Groom Lake-Dulce), don't exist.

The google telephone search turned up my phone number as being a firehouse in NY State. The reverse directory returned nothing as I pay extra to the phone company to be invisible.

The odd thing about privacy is that if someone got to your mailbox and opened your mail, read it, and then put the opened letters back in your mailbox you'd probably be outraged and for good reason. When camera's track your movement, agencies record your cellphone conversations or follow your internet movements...nobody says anything. Is there a difference or dividing line between how people's privacy is intruded upon? If society got to the point to where every citizen is swabbed for DNA tracking, and you had no choice, would you freely supply a sample for the "greater good of humankind" or would you feel that it would be a intrusion of your privacy?

Budfred
05-17-2003, 01:48 AM
steveo,

I don't understand. If the comment you posted is not a quote and the organization referenced is not real, then what is your point?

kayofcircles
05-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Thank you, Lucias. I went ahead and got ours off the Google search, even though Budfred may be right about it being only partially effective. My husband told me about this a couple of weeks ago, and I find it frightening. You guys are, well..guys..and don't have the "healthy" paranoia about stalkers that women do. Most times the laws against stalkers only really kick in after the woman is dead. "Well, duh..the restraining order didn't really work, huh?"

Need to vent a bit, so here goes. I have to have anti-virus to protect myself against criminals. I need a firewall, for basically the same reason. Supposed to running some kind of spyware program. The news said I am supposed to pay for a credit report from each of the big three credit reporting companies..twice a year..to protect myself against identity theft. There was something on news last night that I missed about the bank teller machines..and how criminals are stealing the bank card number from the machine itself. Didn't hear how I am supposed to protect against that. One has to pay the phone company to unlist one's number, and pay to prevent telemarketers from bugging you at all hours. Etc and etc.

So, my question is..argh...do the criminals have to do all this stuff, and "pay" for protection against each other???

Whyzman
05-17-2003, 12:06 PM
As linked by Vic above, "Reverse Directories" can furnish addresses and have been around for decades. Until the advent of the Internet you pretty much had to go to the local library to reference a Reverse Directory.

And, pretty much, it was only for that particular locale. Now-a-days it appears these searches can be accomplished in the privacy of your own home and are "far reaching!"

Reverse Directories only work for folks who have their numbers listed. As steveo pointed out, if you've elected to have an unpublished number you will be "invisible!"

So, my question is..argh...do the criminals have to do all this stuff, and "pay" for protection against each other???
I'm not sure Kay but isn't there somehing about "honor amongst thieves?" :rolleyes:

I'm afraid as with many laws, they serve to keep "honest people honest" but the criminal element chooses to deal with the legal consequences of their actions after their caught...

Budfred
05-17-2003, 01:38 PM
Hey, I've got some good news Kay!! You only have to pay one of the credit agencies for your report, they share your private data with each other so the credit report from one applies to all three.... Now I did say that was good news right???:eek: :(

gracious
05-18-2003, 09:26 AM
Yeah but Budfred, not all the bureaus report the same thing in the same way, you do have to be careful and some don't even report the same things. But why should they make it easy for us? Why should they give a hoot that they are ruining lives and causing acid indigestion? I guess if you really focused on what big brother really knows about us (satellite zooming in on you while you are watching another episode of South Park) then you would probably never want to leave your house but then would you be safe just being a loner in your house,become another Howard Hughes? You won't believe what I have to go through sometimes when getting a property title search and it comes up with a bunch of liens, judgements...that was found with the same name as the owner who is trying to say refinance, but that it is not the owner and then they have to prove to you that they are not that person that they just share the same name....can be quite a journey of discovery!

Mark Miller
05-18-2003, 11:22 AM
I did the Google thing and it came up with nada.
As far as credit reports,it's best to keep up with them as lots of times they are very inaccurate. Obviously this can cause you lots of pain.
Mark

kayofcircles
05-18-2003, 11:46 AM
And sometimes you can't get them to fix the credit report thing anyway. Forget which one of the credit reporting agencies it was, but they had our apt number wrong. Trivial, but I could prove that they were wrong from electric and gas bills, but they never fixed it.

Whyzman: Yes, I know that a person could look you up in a phone book down at a library in the "old" days, and then maybe find a map of that city and figure out where you lived. But the person had to "work" a bit. Now, if by some means they get your phone number, they just pop it into a search, get a map right to your door..and hey. It just seems to me that "they" (you know, the government "they" or the big nebulous "they" always out there..) are making everything much easier for the predators out there to discover little old ladies living alone, or younger ladies for nefarious purposes, etc. I mean, in this case, what is a good "purpose" for this kind of listing? High school friends you haven't seen for decades can find your house?