PDA

View Full Version : mouse cursor won't move!!!!

rlipscombe
11-19-2003, 12:45 PM
please help!!! i have a problem whereby my mouse cursor doesn't move. when starting up the computer i am met with a message:

"PS2 Mouse Initialization Failure"

i'd like to know if it's a problem with the computer, or simply the mouse, and what i can do to remedy the problem. sometimes it'll move for a couple of seconds before freezing, sometimes never. i need this sorting a.s.a.p if possible. i run on Windows XP if it's any help.

karatekid3d
11-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Pop in device mannager real quick and see if it's saying anything (such as driver issues). If you don't know how to get there right click on "my computer", select properties, select the hardware tab, then select device mannager. Then look to see if there are any explination points or question marks (in either yellow or red). If so select to corosponding device and see what windows says the problem is. You can also try doing a system restore to when your mouse was working. Go to Start/programs/accessories/system restore/restore my computer to an earlier time/ and select a date when your mouse was working. Keep us updated.

rlipscombe
11-19-2003, 01:19 PM
i'm not totally sure by what you mean.... for a start i cant right-click on my computer, as nothing is working with the mouse. i can only use the tab button to jump between things, and the windows button to select start. i was told i might be able to find out more through the control panel, but i couldn't see anything....

if it's any help, the message that i get, "PS2 mouse initialization error" appears at POST, when computer starts. someone else said that they felt this would mean the mouse was probably the problem......

mjc
11-19-2003, 01:30 PM
Power down disconnect and reconnect the mouse....try again.

If that doesn't do anything, then try a different mouse.

If a different P/S2 mouse does nothing, try a USB mouse or a serial mouse.

rlipscombe
11-19-2003, 01:38 PM
tried taking the mouse out and reconnecting.... nothing.

haven't got another PS/2 mouse to try.

Have trien other mouse, but wasn't sure which port to connect with, as there was more than one.....

karatekid3d
11-19-2003, 03:29 PM
Ahhh if it was during POST then it's almost defiently either your mouse or an actual hardware problem with the PS/2 port.

See if your have a friend who would be nice enough to loan you a PS/2 mouse to use. Also you might want to hop in the BIOS and make sure everything is in order.

Sylvander
11-24-2003, 08:45 AM
The mouse is initialised during the Windows boot process.
You coud go to the boot menu and select "Step by Step Confirmation" and hit "Enter" at all command steps. Choose to make a "Bootlog.txt" record of the process. You will see the mouse drivers about to be loaded and may be presented with an error at that point. I've studied my Bootlog.txt file and the mouse initialisation comes quite late after more vital devices are loaded. Here are the steps in my file:

LOADING THE MOUSE VIRTUAL DEVICE DRIVERS?
[0000581E] Loading Vxd = vmouse
[0000581E] LoadSuccess = vmouse
[0000581F] Loading Vxd = msmouse.vxd
[0000581F] LoadSuccess = msmouse.vxd

SYSTEM CRITICAL INITIALISATION OF THE VIRTUAL MOUSE DRIVER?
[00005826] SYSCRITINIT = VMOUSE
[00005826] SYSCRITINITSUCCESS = VMOUSE

INITIALISATION THE VIRTUAL MOUSE DEVICE?
[00005877] DEVICEINIT = VMOUSE
[00005877] DEVICEINITSUCCESS = VMOUSE

COMPLETION OF INITIALISATION?
[0000594C] INITCOMPLETE = VMOUSE
[0000594C] INITCOMPLETESUCCESS = VMOUSE

LOADING THE MOUSE DRIVER?
LoadStart = mouse.drv
LoadSuccess = mouse.drv

COMPLETING MOUSE INITIALISATION?
Init = Mouse
Status = Mouse driver installed
InitDone = Mouse

If you knew how [I dont] you could use one of the prog's on your Startup disk ["Edit" perhaps] to read your "C:\bootlog.txt".

It's possible that your mouse driver files are missing or corrupted.
You could run Windows Setup.exe file to repair the Windows installation.
Any missing or corrupted files would be replaced.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

If you had a backup system [other than Windows XP's Restore arrangement, which as you've discovered is no use whatever when Windows won't boot] with a "Disaster Recovery" floppy disk, you could re-format and restore your latest good backup of a working file system to the C: drive.

mjc
11-24-2003, 01:32 PM
No amount of backups, restoring or anything with the OS is going to help here...this IS a hardware problem.

One other thing is to check the BIOS and see if the P/S@ Mouse is enabled there, otherwise a USB mouse may be your only answer.

Sylvander
11-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Well don't keep it to yourself MJC.

Let us all in on the secret.

What is it that tells you this is DEFINITELY a hardware problem?

mjc
11-24-2003, 02:19 PM
if it's any help, the message that i get, "PS2 mouse initialization error" appears at POST, when computer starts.

OS not in the equation yet.......

Also, if he copied the error message exactly, then the wording of the message if BIOS error message, not Windows....

And, finally, 99% of mouse failures are hardware not software, especially on XP, with the drivers being "protected", if there was a problem on one boot it would be corected by the next, if it were purely OS/software.

PS: I am going to predict exactly what is wrong if, it isn't the port itself....the ground wire has broken.

deddard
11-24-2003, 06:15 PM
Just a thought, but is the mouse connected to the mouse port or the keyboard port (both PS2)

Paleo Pete
11-24-2003, 10:59 PM
Yep, it's a hardware problem....deddard may have a very good point, could simply be plugged into the wrong port.

Also, if the mouse has been pluged in or unplugged while the computer was plugged into the power outlet it could have fried the port itself.

With PS/2 mouse sometimes being enabled in BIOS it will initialize fairly early during the boot process, so if BIOS doesn't find a working mouse it should give an error message similar to the one posted.

Try another mouse if possible, either borrow one or find a cheap one to test with. DO NOT plug it in or unplug it until the computer has been unplugged from the power outlet.