PDA

View Full Version : Where is fdisk.exe in XP

FrankSG
03-16-2004, 11:31 AM
I have Windows XP Home, but can't find fdisk.exe. Did they do away with it in XP? If so, I think I have it on one of my old floppy disks--probably form DOS 6.2. Can I still use it on XP?

pentachris
03-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Option 1: the disk management gui under cp/admin tools/computer management/storage/disk management

Option 2: diskpart (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/diskpart.mspx) (more (http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=xx-bork&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&c2coff=1&q=diskpart))

Option 3: there may be other options - what are you trying to do? :)

jabarnutcase
03-16-2004, 12:01 PM
Yes Frank...That would be my question...What are you trying to do?

You aren't by any chance talking about "scandisk" instead are you? (Just a shot in the dark)

FrankSG
03-16-2004, 12:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cabernet's
[B]Yes Frank...That would be my question...What are you trying to do?

I was thinking about changing the partition size on my drive. Windows 98 and all previous versions had a utility called Fisk.exe which was used to view and/or change the partitions on your drive. You had to be careful how you used it because you could also wipe out everything on your drive. I used it several times when I had Windows 98 to remove my partitions, reformat and then re-partition.

Paul Komski
03-16-2004, 04:06 PM
Run Box and Enter diskmgmt.msc to view all the partitions. You can also format, delete, create, etc, etc, partitions from here but you cant resize/merge partitions containing data - for that you would need Partition Magic or similar.

FrankSG
03-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Paul Komski
Run Box and Enter diskmgmt.msc to view all the partitions. You can also format, delete, create, etc, etc, partitions from here but you cant resize/merge partitions containing data - for that you would need Partition Magic or similar.
So, if I had Partition Magic or one of the other partitioning utilities, could I resize my partitions with out loosing anything? I have more that enough space on my drive C:. Actually I have about 40GB of free space. So what I would like to do is make my drive D: larger which would of course make C: smaller.

pentachris
03-16-2004, 04:57 PM
So, if I had Partition Magic or one of the other partitioning utilities, could I resize my partitions with out loosing anything?

Yep, that's what Partition Magic is famous for. :)

If you are using FAT partitions (not NTFS) you can resize them using the free tool Partition Resizer (http://www.zeleps.com).

FrankSG
03-16-2004, 05:21 PM
If you are using FAT partitions (not NTFS) you can resize them using the free tool Partition Resizer.
Drive C: is NTFS but dirve D: is FAT. So, that free one wouldn't work would it?

Paul Komski
03-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Regardless of the utility used - if these partitions contain valuable data - BACK UP FIRST.

Which leads to another approach and that is to make images of the partitions (hence backed up) and to then restore the images - but into newly sized partitions.

pentachris
03-16-2004, 05:51 PM
Nope, the freebie won't work for you.

Paul makes two good points -

1. These tools are not fool-proof, and
2. Since I'd want to back up my data before screwing around with partition sizes anyway, imaging, repartitioning and restoring is what I've done in the past when I became dissatisfied with my partition sizes. Which puts us back to where we were at the beginning. :)

I'm fairly sure (somebody help me out here) you can use an NTFS 5.1-capable imaging program, like Ghost 2002 or later, to image and restore your partitions, and use fdisk to give them the size you desire. This would be done by 1)imaging your drives, to CD-R, perhaps 2)use fdisk to wipe out old partitions and create new ones (no need to format them) 3)restore your images.

I've never actually done this, so somebody tell me if I'm wrong.

Paul Komski
03-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Have only ever used Drive Image - and NTFS or FAT makes no difference.

Drive Image likes to restore and will, in fact, only restore into unallocated space - so it will always delete existing partition(s) prior to restoration - if that is where one wants the restoration to go of course.

No problems with restoring to a partition larger than the original; there can be problems with restoring to "not enough space" of course.

NB Restore the boot and system partitions to the same locations (partition #1, #2, etc) as the originals or you will be liable to boot problems requiring repairs etc.

FrankSG
03-17-2004, 08:07 AM
Thanks everybody for the information. If I decide to re-size, I'll first make an exact image of both partitions. Then I'll re-size my partitions and restore. Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of you!