PDA

View Full Version : Must restart PC for internet access - moved

mustanger
05-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Hello. Wondering if someone might please offer some advice. I use Windows XP and recently switched from a cable co. internet service provider to Verizon FIOS. My problem may not have anything at all to do with the switch - but I'm not sure. A few months after the switch, I began encountering a problem - if I've left my computer on and go away for several hours - when I return I must restart the computer to be able to access the internet. I don't have any other computers in the house. I have phone, TV, and internet access all being provided by FIOS. Verizon also sent me a brand new modem to replace the original one - still the same problem. Anyone know what this might be? Thanks very much in advance for any response or help.

Paul Komski
05-23-2008, 03:50 AM
when I return I must restart the computer to be able to access the internet.

Do you connect directly to the modem or is the modem connected to a router? In either case does disconnecting and then reconnecting the cable or rebooting any router solve the problem rather than rebooting the whole PC. If a router are you connected via wires or wireless?

Speed and uninterrupted use of the service are not guaranteed. (http://www22.verizon.com/content/ConsumerFios/faqs/faqs.htm)

mjc
05-23-2008, 06:02 AM
Also, what exactly is the problem...does Windows say the cable is disconnected or that connectivity has been lost or is there no message, but no connectivity?

From a command line, run ipconfig /all...does it return an IP address/DNS info? All zeros? An IP address that isn't your router?

Are there any power management features on you network card? Are they turned on or off? (look under the device's properties)