Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southwest's Ding program problem

Southwest's Ding program problem

I have used Southwest's "Ding" program successfully for almost a year. It is a program that "dings" you the minute the airfares drop. Suddenly, it stopped working and I get an error message that there is a connectivity problem. What happened?

I have Windows XP. Norton Security, and AOL. I have uninstalled the program about five times, checked my firewall settings on Windows and Norton. I have uninstalled Norton and reinstalled it two times. I have been on the phone with tech support at AOL, Norton, Southwest Airlines, and Verizon.

Nobody has an answer. Meanwhile, I'm missing buying low priced airfare on a route that I must travel on frequently. Can anybody help?

Welcome to forums.

First, run, don't walk and dump NORTON. Do it now. The faster the better.

Get a free firewall and configure it to allow the Southwest Program to have access to the Internet/Network. The two best firewalls are:

Kerio and Sygate

Get yourself and AV that along with being free puts out updates faster than Symantec and uses much less system resources:

Avast and AVG

Uninstall the Ding program.

Re-install the program and make sure the firewall allows it to access the Internet. Disable the stupid Windows firewall.

Let us know how it goes.
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

Southwest Ding Program Problem

Help! I am having the same problem with Southwest Ding Program. Did you get a resolution to problem. I too have spoken with Southwest, Yahoo, and Comcast. I'm getting unrecoverable error - Unable to load configuation files. I had the program loaded and am unable to get a connectivity connection. I've disabled Norton, Pop up blocker, and entered ding.southwest.com and southwest.com to the Firewall exceptions. At wits end. Everything works on my computer, except this program that millions are using. Any suggestions from anyone????

I fixed my Ding! I found the folder that contains the data for Ding after uninstalling it and simply deleted the whole folder. It's a folder titled "Southwest Airlines" that is under "Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data" and I simply deleted it (that's SHIFT - delete, so it doesn't go to the Recycle bin). Then I reinstalled Ding! and ran it, and I had to re-register, but it's working flawlessly now. YAY!

Good luck!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mweber88 View Post
    I fixed my Ding! I found the folder that contains the data for Ding after uninstalling it and simply deleted the whole folder. It's a folder titled "Southwest Airlines" that is under "Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data" and I simply deleted it (that's SHIFT - delete, so it doesn't go to the Recycle bin). Then I reinstalled Ding! and ran it, and I had to re-register, but it's working flawlessly now. YAY!

Good luck!

Mike
    Welcome to

Please look at the dates of the last post... Both threads you posted to are quite old and resolved...
    Budfred ..... Caveat Emptor....

Helpful links SpywareBlaster... HijackThis... ATF Cleaner...

Post a complaint about malware here!!
    So how did I get infected in the first place??

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP member since 2004...

If you PM me for help, expect an irritated response... Post in the forum...

My turn for a Southwest Ding! problem. I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows. I run McAfee firewall/antivirus and a wireless laptop/router. When I go to update registration, it tells me can't connect to www.southwest.com. I have tried the following:

Installing with Mcafee uninstalled
    Windows firewall is shutoff
    I tried shutting off my router firewall (Ding! always worked w/Mcafee and my router firewall before)
    I tried downloading in safemode.. but couldn't install because the windows installer driver doesn't load up in safemode
    I tried manually deleting all the southwest files and reloading several times

Any other suggestions??

Thanks
    Diane

Welcome to PCGuide...

Any other suggestions??

Thanks
    Diane
    Yes, please read the post just before your post and then start your own thread...

Ding won't connect

I've tried all these solutions listed above. Have deleted all references to DING on my computer, reinstalled various times, deleted obtrusive Firewalls and turned off Windows firewall. When I go to hit "UPDATE REGISTRATION" on Ding it says "unable to connect to southwest.com" but when I type in ding.southwest.com in my browser it connects. HELP. I used this program years ago (different computer) and it worked flawlessly. It just will not work on this computer. Can anyone supply assistance. Southwest has no real support to answer this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by premiumpaper View Post
    I've tried all these solutions listed above. Have deleted all references to DING on my computer, reinstalled various times, deleted obtrusive Firewalls and turned off Windows firewall. When I go to hit "UPDATE REGISTRATION" on Ding it says "unable to connect to southwest.com" but when I type in ding.southwest.com in my browser it connects. HELP. I used this program years ago (different computer) and it worked flawlessly. It just will not work on this computer. Can anyone supply assistance. Southwest has no real support to answer this problem.
    Here is the basic thing... It is not nice to hijack someone else's thread... It is also far less likely to get you help to hijack a thread that hasn't had a follow-up post from a new member who never returned after posting in July last year... So, welcome to PCGuide and please start your own thread... Provide detailed info about your system and your problem and you will be more likely to get help....

Lightbulb Proxy Passwords Not Encrypted Properly

Problem/Bug
    In my case, the "Unable to load Ding! configuration files" stemmed from what appears to be an improperly encrypted password for proxy access.

Details
    When installing Ding! or using the Update Registration, the password supplied for the user name for the proxy is stored incorrectly in the Ding.dat file in the Southwest/Ding folder.

Resolution
    1. Do not uninstall or re-install Ding!--no need to;
    2. File browse to "C:\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data\Southwest Airlines\Ding";
    3. Delete Ding.dat or rename it to something else;
    4. Start Ding!;
    5. Wait to Southwest geek squad to fix this bug.

Follow-Up
    Southwest Geekazoids: Please look into a possible bug or scenario where "Proxy Password" in Ding.dat is saved as "00000000000000000000" instead of a properly encrypted password. This may be related to disabled or incompatible Windows services related to Crypto.

it sure seems like a LOT of first time posters are jumping right to this thread. Does this seem slightly suspicious to anyone else? or is it just me?
    Maybe time to lock it as no one wants to listen
    If all we ever give is equal to that of which we get, how do we ever progress beyond that of which we are?
    Uncle Crustys

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    it sure seems like a LOT of first time posters are jumping right to this thread. Does this seem slightly suspicious to anyone else? or is it just me?
    Maybe time to lock it as no one wants to listen
    Actually, this last post is actually posting suggestions to help with the original problem, so that is why we have kept this open... Help is appreciated... hijacking the thread is not...

That said delgueso,
    Welcome to

Don't get cranky

The reason this thread is still going is because there are many of us who are experiencing the same problem.

I wrote the original post. I solved the problem by buying a new computer! Well, honestly, I was due to replace mine, so out of frustration with the Ding! program I junked the old computer.

So, problem solved...not so fast...Ding! worked on this new computer until a couple of weeks ago. Then it stopped. I click on all of the buttons and nothing happens. Southwest tells me it is a hyperlink problem. Once again...I have tried everything (I won't go into that.) I have Vista. Any suggestions? I'm not going to replace this computer. I'm running McAfee. Thanks.

--Judy

So you return after 2 years and finally post a response because you are having a problem again?? Even if you are not having a problem, it is helpful if your at least report back on what your situation is...

It seems to me that the solution is to get rid of this program that you all claim to be having a problem with... It sounds like it is a badly written program and the originators have no interest in fixing it... We can't fix broken programs...

There are a number of services that will notify you about airfares and any number of other issues -- I suggest you look into those...

I am going to side with Budfred on this one...scrap the stupid program. Tell Southwest to fix it, because it is absolute garbage.

A hyperlink problem? Just what in the hell is that supposed to mean?

Hyperlinks are just text...it is the program that interprets what to do with that text. So if "Ding" has a hyperlink problem, it is BROKEN!!! Hyperlinks are addresses, it is up to a program to parse that information and do something with it...

In all likelihood, Ding is breaking due to Windows updates...which there have been several security related updates recently.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Exclamation Fix to connect to southwest.com

This is the simple fix to conect to southwest.com

>click start or all programs
    >click accessories
    >right click command prompt then click "run as administrator"
    >enter the following:

netsh interface tcp set global encapability=disabled

finished!

So what exactly does that do?

I don't see that option documented anywhere...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Cool What does it do?

I found this fix after spending hours googleing a fix to connect to southwest after "ding" stopped working. This fix is immediate and works!

It's still not working.......

Quote Originally Posted by behuge View Post

>click start or all programs
    >click accessories
    >right click command prompt then click "run as administrator"
    >enter the following:

netsh interface tcp set global encapability=disabled

finished!
    I did exactly what you recommended...still nothing. I rebooted. I uninstalled and reinstalled. Still nothing.

I looked for the "documents and settings" to delete the application data solution, but haven't found any files.

For those of you who think it is ridiculous to try and solve this problem...you have no idea how much money we are talking about saving. I have to fly a particular route which comes up frequently on the "Ding" program. If I don't book the flight 21 days in advance, the ticket is $149 each way. With "Ding" it can be only $49 to $59 each way, plus sometimes you can book it 3 days before traveling. With an aging, ill parent to tend to, I have had to make many, many trips without much notice. The "Ding" program has saved me a lot of money and made it possible for me to take care of my Mom. So, this is not a waste of time; it is a necessity.

I'd like to thank those who have made suggestions. I am not going to give up trying to solve this problem. There has to be a solution.

It is ridiculous to continue to beat a dead horse...there is a major problem with the application, itself. We are not the developers of said application...

WE CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! We have no magic 'fix'.

You, and everyone else having problems with this thing, need to be bugging the hell out of whoever it is that develops this barely working beta software for Southwest...if that is Southwest's tech support, in the middle of downtown New Dehli...so be it.

The ball is in Southwest's court...

Or in a buggy software fix forum, it is a software problem, not hardware.

Ding! SOLUTION

Finally, and only by accident, did I solve the problem.

I had to install Mozilla Firefox (which used to be on my computer) and I found that the "Ding!" works. I am now getting to order cheap tickets that are only offered to "Ding" recipients.

I just saved $118 on a ticket that I need to buy to travel in two weeks.

I remember removing Mozilla Firefox about four months ago because I was cleaning up my hard drive. I never knew it was my "throughway" to Southwest's Ding! program.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions.

--Judy

This Will Fix Ding

Quote Originally Posted by behuge View Post
    behuge almost had it, but to be completely explicit on how to get DING! to work (at least in Windows XP Pro):

0. Exit DING! if it is currently running
    1. Find the DING! program in your Start Menu (i.e. Start : All Programs : Southwest Airlines)
    2. Place your cursor over the DING! icon and then right click
    3. From the menu that opened up when you right clicked, choose "Run as..." (it should be the second option after "Open")
    4. UNCHECK the box that says "Protect my computer and data from unauthorized program activity"
    5. Click OK.
    6. When DING! opens, register (try only using one airport at first).

If connectivity problems persist (like when you restart your computer), there is a good chance you are running the Windows Firewall. Follow the framework here, to add DING! to the list of Exceptions, so that it can connect to the Internet.

This should do it for you. Good luck.
    Last edited by fstar; 10-28-2008 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added more info about Windows Firewall

Angry Ding Go Away!

Had Ding don't use it and uninstalled it and the window just pops up all the time no matter where I am or what I am doing. Have reinstalled and uninstalled still have problem ...have enabled and unenabled what a pain in the tail section.

ANY suggestions???? PLEASE!!!!

Ding

I don't want to fix it I want to GET RID OF IT!!!

Thread Information