Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Convert USB to LPT

Convert USB to LPT

I have an old software stock market charting program. I absolutely need it for my job. The program stopped working last week on my pc. I reinstalled it to a laptop. The laptop has 3 USB ports. I connected the PC to my wide carriage printer via a USB to parallel cable. Everything prints except for the charting program. The problem is the program only allows me to identify LPT 1 - 3 to print to. The programmer died last year and there are no updates.

Is it possible to try to fool the program and make it think it is sending the data to an LPT port and not a USB port? The laptop is a dell which has only USB ports no LPT ports.

Please help I really need this program.

It sounds More like the USB/LPT adapter doesn't support graphics.
    Only text ?

Another option is to send the chart to a PDF printer ( creates a PDF file)
    Then IF the usb/lpt supports graphics
    Just send the pdf to the printer

Which USB to Parallel device are you using. I have used laptop harbours, for example, that attach to the PC by a single USB cable but have multiple connections (parallel, serial, NIC, PS/2, etc) on the "little box". Parallel printers attached to them were seen as being on LPT1 as far as I remember. I actually have one on order but wont be able to confirm for about a week.

Dell provide such harbours and docking devices as laptop accessories so it's worth speaking to a tech support and get them to confirm which of them would see an LPT1 port before purchasing.

PS THIS type of thing. But confirm that the printer is seen as LPT and not as USB via the device.

Last edited by Paul Komski; 02-26-2007 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Link to docking device added.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Just got to thinking how the properties might be set in your Printer's settings and if already set to USB would switching to LPT1 work. I have a Lexmark that works on either USB or Parallel cables as in the linked pic. Not sure how the drivers side of things works out but my cheapo Lexmark doesn't seem to be too fussy.

Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

Quote Originally Posted by jhyerczyk View Post
    I have an old software stock market charting program. I absolutely need it for my job. The program stopped working last week on my pc. I reinstalled it to a laptop. The laptop has 3 USB ports. I connected the PC to my wide carriage printer via a USB to parallel cable. Everything prints except for the charting program. The problem is the program only allows me to identify LPT 1 - 3 to print to. The programmer died last year and there are no updates.

Is it possible to try to fool the program and make it think it is sending the data to an LPT port and not a USB port? The laptop is a dell which has only USB ports no LPT ports.

Please help I really need this program.
    Why did it quit on the desktop? Have you addressed that problem?

The 'Print to File' option should also get you to the printer...but like printing to a PDF it will be a two step process to print the document.

One of the problems with technology is that there are often 'orphans' on the software side. Have you checked for an update to this 'essential' program? It sounds like it is a holdover from the days of Win95...there may be an update to a Win98 or ME version that supports USB devices.
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Thread Information