Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: Is there an OTC or natural alternative to Flomax?

Is there an OTC or natural alternative to Flomax?

Since we're all adults here I will ask this without embarrassment and trust that nobody is offended by a question of a personal nature. I am a 55 year old man in good health, although I have all the symptons (and I mean all of them) of BHP, a.k.a. enlarged prostrate. Yes, I'm that guy on the commercial who misses the grand slam because he's in the men's room at the ball park.

I had a prostrate exam two years ago at which time my doctor didn't mention any abnormalities, although since that time the symptoms have become more frequent and more pronounced.

I am also aware that these same symptoms can indicate prostrate cancer, and for that reason I will schedule another exam. And at that time he will very likely prescribe Flomax or another drug to treat BHP, and I am not opposed to that. But in the meantime I am wondering if any other men my age or older have used an over-the-counter or natural remedy for BHP with satisfactory results.

Thank you for any suggestions.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks.

Relztrah

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Did they do a PSA (prostate-specific antigen) test?
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Saw Palmetto...
    AV, Anti-Trojan List;Browser and Email client List;Popup Killer List;Portable Apps
    “When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine
    Remember: Amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titantic."

Land of 10,000 Lakes and Minnesota nice!!
    Lighten up! --- A merry heart does good like a medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Saw Palmetto doesn't really work. Do what your doctor says. Avoid Caffeine, and don't hold it in. When you gotta go, you gotta go....
    No two moments are alike and a person who thinks that any two moments are alike has never lived.

A.J. Heschel

I had a prostrate exam two years ago at which time my doctor didn't mention any abnormalities, although since that time the symptoms have become more frequent and more pronounced.
    You need a follow up and don't pre-empt what treatment may be advised. Flomax is a potent drug and not to be prescribed without a full history.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

I have never heard of an herb that works but the pharmaceuticals should be viewed with caution. Reading Neurology Now at the docs office, it seems that class of drugs as well as those in the Prilosec class, cause memory loss and confusion in older adults with long time use. I need every single brain cell so I'll pass on drugs for now.

I agree with all the above posts, and frankly the possible side-effects of Flomax are worse than the symptoms. I can live with the symptoms and I've learned to adapt, such as drinking no fluids in the evening or before a trip.

I'll take my doctor's advice, but this same doctor--whom I trust--wanted to put me on Avacor for high choloesterol and I was able to lower it to an acceptable level with diet and moderate exercise. Perhaps I'll find a way to contol the BPH (if indeed that's what I have) without resorting to a prescription drug.

Thank you all for your interest. Is anybody out there actually taking Flomax or another drug for BPH? If so, what has your experience been?
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to use the Internet and he won't bother you for weeks.

Relztrah

I have never heard of an herb that works
    Don't take me too seriously but very many drugs are or come from "herbs" so I cant resist mentioning: digitalis and opium and even aspirin if you consider the willow tree to be a herb.
    Take nice care of yourselves - Paul - ♪ -
    Help to start using BiNG. Some stuff about Boot CDs & Data Recovery Basics & Back-up using Knoppix.

A couple of years ago, on the advice of my doctor, I tried Flomax. It didn't really help so we mutally decided to discontinue.

SHortly thereafter, I had an unrelated need for physical therapy to my lower body. As part of it, the therapist strongly promoted pelvic exercises to strengthen the pelvic muscles. The theory was that stronger pelvic muscles gave more proper support to the internal organs alowing then to function more normally. As a byproduct of that therapy, I found that my urination became significantly more normal. No, I don't pee like a 20 year old but I am at the point that I am satisfied I can live with the condition I am now in without drugs. And I continue to do the exercises daily.

Of course, cancer screening is a part of my annual physical checkup (PSA test).
    Last edited by tommy; 12-27-2008 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I agree with all the above posts, and frankly the possible side-effects of Flomax are worse than the symptoms. I can live with the symptoms and I've learned to adapt, such as drinking no fluids in the evening or before a trip.

I'll take my doctor's advice, but this same doctor--whom I trust--wanted to put me on Avacor for high choloesterol and I was able to lower it to an acceptable level with diet and moderate exercise. Perhaps I'll find a way to contol the BPH (if indeed that's what I have) without resorting to a prescription drug.

Thank you all for your interest. Is anybody out there actually taking Flomax or another drug for BPH? If so, what has your experience been?
    Both Flomax and Rapaflo, both poison to me. Flomax did make me go easier for sure, but the stuffiness and the unreal headaches made me try Rapaflo. Rapaflo did not make me go very good and it gave me retrograde ejaculation which freaked me out till I found out what it was, Rapaflo also gave me bad anxiety I found. I stopped bouth of them and it hurts pretty bad to go now, but at least I can go a bit, still waiting for UroDynamic test, scope and MRI. This conditon just SUX fellas as you who have it will attest.

Talking Ron

Hey guys, might be a bit late for this post - however, I've been taking Flomax for the past 5 1/2 years. I previously tried a few other things and
    did not have the relief that I was looking for. I've gone a a diet when
    I was up to 283 lbs and now weight just 172.... I am 67 1/2 years old
    and moved to Panama 2 years ago. My blood preasure is very normal
    and my colestrol has dropped to 188 (use to be 239). I have managed
    to not take this med daily as suggested and have worked it down to 3-4
    days before I take one. By the the urge is starting to wake up in the
    middle of the night 5-7 times...... the first 2 1/2 days I sleep through the
    night (good 7-8 hours) without any problems. On day 3 it begins to cause
    my sleepless nights by awaking 3 or more times during the night. I keep
    trying to get to 4-5 days without taking this med and will continue to work
    in that direction. Since loosing weight - eating fresh foods-fruits-meats-fish
    and the like daily here in Panama, and my wife and I share a bottle of wine
    almost every night and both of our various symptoms we had have now
    gone away. I came here taking Hi-blood preasure meds 3-times a day,
    along with a couple of other drugs and the Flomax. I now take one blood
    preasure med (not 3) and only once a day and the Flomax as you read
    above. Feel like I'm in my mid-late 40's again ... not 67 1/2 .

Ron

Thread Information