Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Error Code 2000-0142

Thanks for the CHKDSK /R tip. It solved the 2000-0142 problem on my DELL Latitude D630.

Mods informed
    "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" ~ Ben Franklin

Insert your OS disk into your cd/dvd drive
    As the machine boots up - it should have an option to hit F2 or F12
    Hit the F12 key
    This will give you the option of where to boot your machine from.
    Select boot from CD/DVD drive

For me windows loaded some files and gave me an option to either install windows or repair.

I selected repair

I was then asked for the admin password -- typed it in.

It brings you to a command prompt :

Type in CHKDSK
    or
    Type in CHKDSK/R

Hit the ENTER key
    Name:  IMG_0904.jpg
Views: 3794
Size:  20.6 KB

As you can see,nothing of the above works...
    When i punch in chkdsk the cursor just blings and forbids me to type in anything else! only close it

Any explanation of all this? How can i continue...hoping???
    i m so disapointed from my Dell peace of crap

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dad rules ok View Post
    Hiya People - I have successfully managed to fix this error.

I too have experienced similar problem where for no reason our Dell Vostro 1510 laptop just stopped working without warning, no noises, no bumps, no spikes and no other significant identifiable reason to stop working.

Received the Blue Screen and after not being able to boot up in safe mode, or in safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompts.

The Blue Screen came up with :
    error code : 0142
    message error code : 2000-0142

Another diagnostic message
    UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Also got error messages during diagnostics, however the above seem to be the common theme of many other peoples problems.

After trawling through countless forums and numerous google combinations seeking info on this issue, no one seemed to be able to offer a solution to get the machine operational to be able to save data.

This is what I did after piecing together snippets of info from multiple websites and hours of frustration.

Insert your OS disk into your cd/dvd drive
    As the machine boots up - it should have an option to hit F2 or F12
    Hit the F12 key
    This will give you the option of where to boot your machine from.
    Select boot from CD/DVD drive

For me windows loaded some files and gave me an option to either install windows or repair.

I selected repair

I was then asked for the admin password -- typed it in.

It brings you to a command prompt :

Type in CHKDSK
    or
    Type in CHKDSK/R
    Name:  IMG_0904.jpg
Views: 3788
Size:  20.6 KB
    As you can see,nothing of the above works...
    When i punch in chkdsk the cursor just blings and forbids me to type in anything else! only close it

Any explanation of all this? How can i continue...hoping???
    i m so disapointed from my Dell peace of crap

From the way you typed in the CHKDSK command, it's trying to run it on your "X" drive, which will be your DVD. You cannot do that, and you have to specify your hard disk. Try this: CHKDSK C: /r

Hello! I'm new to this community but I have just experienced the same error code message. I followed your suggestion to load the Operating Disk for Vista but I didn't receive the option to Repair. When the page loaded, it went straight to the Install Windows screen. Can you please tell me exactly what I should have seen? If I click 'Next' on the current page I'm on, will the system go to install mode immediately or should I expect to see the option to repair on next screen.

PLEASE HELP...

Young001,

So are you not seeing the option appear on the bottom-left of the screen, like the example below?

http://www.bleepstatic.com/tutorials...tup-option.jpg

Error Code 0142

Wow! Is that the screen immediately after entering the Country and Language? I froze when I saw the 'Next' button on the Install Windows screen. Please clarify. Thank you in advance oh knowledgeable one.

In addition, I followed the steps to reach the screen with the Repair option. Then it ask me to insert the disk with the device drivers. I did that too but it's now asking me to specify with file to open. I don't recall seeing that on any of the threads. Can you please help clarify"
    Last edited by Young001; 08-22-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Vista Error Code 2000-0142

What does it mean if the Windows Repair module doesn't recognize the driver setup files for my computer. I inserted the disk labeled "Drivers" for Vista and selected several files with the extension Setup Information. However, I continue to receive the message "The specified location doesn't not contain information about your hardware". Is my HD totally screwed or does this require a tech service call?

With all of the brain power on this site, I'm confident that someone can point me into the right direction to resolve this issue myself. Thank you in advance for our assistance.
    Last edited by Young001; 08-22-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add Info

Hi Dad rules,
    I have the same problem, however I seem to have lost my OS disc. Is there a way to get into command prompt without it ( I was gonna try the fixboot option you mentioned.
    I've contacted Dell (I know stoopid move) unhelpful other than trying to sell me windows 7 or 8
    The laptop runs vista ATM so would I be better going to win 7 or 8?
    What do you suggest I do?

Thanks

I've had the same issue with my dell Inspiron 1545 but I cannot get the OS DVD to work for some reason. I follow the steps but I never get the screen where I can input the codes. Can someone help please! Thanks!

Hi, ALL,
    I also have a DELL Inspiron 1545 which recently gave me BSOD with error code 0142.
    The laptop runs Vista so I requested a OS CD from DELL in order to repair.

The repair went well, but after reboot, the laptop started running very-very slow. Like the boot time takes now twice the time it was before.

I did ran "CHKDSK /F", and I didn't do anything else.

This laptop is for my mother in law, and so I prefer that for the time being she still have the same hardware (Its a long time out of warranty).

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot. chkdsk /r worked for me.

Thank you to all on this thread. Just wanted to post my results from a successful repair.

My computer:
    Dell Latitude e6420, Purchased January 2013
    Windows 7

Diagnosing the Problem:
    >Failure to boot, with an error message given by the BIOS and the option to "CTL+ALT+DEL" to reboot. Rebooting did not help.
    >Inserted Windows disk, let it run it's diagnostic check. Recieved two error messages:
    >>Error 2000-0415: "Check LCD Cables"
    >>Error 2000-0142: "Hard Drive 0 self test unsuccessful status 79"

Fixing the Problem:
    >Clicked on the option provided by the Windows disk: "Fix startup problems." A little rolling progress bar appeared, and Windows let me know that it was "Finding and fixing problems preventing Windows from starting." I let it run for 3 hours, then hit Cancel, thinking it was probably hanging. This greyed out the Cancel option, but the progress bar continued to roll. I let it roll for 20 minutes before performing a hard shutdown.
    >Once again booted from the Windows disk, hit "Open a Command Line.", and ran CHKDSK C: /r at 9:30pm (T+0 hours). The first three stages took less than 30 seconds total. Got to "Stage 4 of 5," where the system paused with the message "74 of 12040" files processed. It stayed like this for at least three hours. I went bed at midnight (T+2.5 hours).
    >In the morning (T+10.5 hours) the system was still on stage 4 of five, but now I could see that Windows had "Fixed bad clusters in files in <something something>, and was now paused at "85 of 12040 files processed." Sometime during the night, something had gotten fixed.
    >At T+16 hours, I performed a hard restart. Windows booted seemingly normally, but popped up with its usual "Windows did not shut down properly" message. I opted to boot into Safe Mode to backup the most critical files (work) files immediately.

Still nervous about booting into normal mode, but this let me back things up.

Thankful, replace your hard drive. It is failing.
    8.1 Pro 64bit
    AMD FX 8350
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
    24GB GSkill/Corsair 1866MHz
    2x XFX 6870 1GB
    SSD - OCZ V4 128GB/Kingston 120GB
    HDD - 3TB/2x 750GB/500GB/250GB
    Corsair TX850M
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red
    CM Hyper 212 EVO w/2x SickleFlow 120mm Red
    12x BD-ROM
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround
    2X Acer 23" LED - Eyefinity: 3840x1080
    Microsoft Sidewinder x4 KB

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein

Thread Information