Custom Search
Join the PC homebuilding revolution! Read the all-new, FREE 200-page online guide: How to Build Your Own PC!
NOTE: Using robot software to mass-download the site degrades the server and is prohibited. See here for more.
Find The PC Guide helpful? Please consider a donation to The PC Guide Tip Jar. Visa/MC/Paypal accepted.

Thread: AVI/MP4 file splitter without re-encoding

AVI/MP4 file splitter without re-encoding

Hi.
    I've been transforming my videos from miniDV tapes to MP4 files via using "Pinnacle Video Transfer" which I found to be very good (must use medium quality setting since high setting is interlaced and records bit wider than standard 4:3 ratio).

One problem with it is that I let it record first then play my tape, and the recording doesn't automatically stop when the tape finishes.. so I have some "blue screens" before and after the actual video content and I just want to "crop out" the blue screen frames.

So, I'm looking for a freeware that will split these MP4 video files WITHOUT re-encoding. I found "Easy Video Splitter" which seems to do exactly this, except that it splits the video few seconds off of where I specify for it to split.

There are few others that I've tried and they all seem to re-encode the output video file which makes it take very long and generally file size gets bigger and possibly lose quality as well.

Any suggestions/recommendations?
    If the software works well, I'll also take shareware suggestions/recommendations too.

Thanks!

Try this http://www.squared5.com/

MPEG Streamclip is pretty handy, the only requirement it has is that it needs quicktime.
    IBM ThinkPad T21 - 750MHz PIII, 256mb RAM, XGA, S3 Savage IX8, 40GB HD, Windows 95/NT4
    HP ENVY 15 - i7 4700MQ, 16GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA GT740M, FHD, 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 7-64
    Desktop - i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD 7870, 256GB Samsung 840 SSD, 1TB HD, XP/7-64

Virtual Dub is free and open source.

You can do the splitting without re encoding thusly.

Virtual Dub seems bit complicated when I tried to use it before for something else.. but I will give it another try as well as the one from squared5 site.
    Hopefully one of these two works and splits the file at the exact spot I specify.
    I'll let you know which one worked and worked out better for me.
    Thanks for your recommendations.

I actually use both whenever I work with video... Virtual Dub can crop things too!
    IBM ThinkPad T21 - 750MHz PIII, 256mb RAM, XGA, S3 Savage IX8, 40GB HD, Windows 95/NT4
    HP ENVY 15 - i7 4700MQ, 16GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA GT740M, FHD, 512GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 7-64
    Desktop - i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD 7870, 256GB Samsung 840 SSD, 1TB HD, XP/7-64

Of the two (Virtual Dub and the one from Squared5), I was only able to use the one from Squared5 and it seems to work pretty good. Thanks!

Virtual Dub was actually very good (not hard to use for cropping.. I think using it to capture video was bit complicated before.. anyway...), except that it was not able to handle MP4 files. It handled AVI files very well.

The one from Squared5... it seems to work well though the control buttons are bit weird and I had to install QuickTime (couldn't use QuickTimeAlternative because it was giving some error with my MP4 file as input, but QuckTime was fine with it) and had to install the 3ivx codec to view the video within the program. Other than having to install all these extra softwares, I'm pretty happy with it and so far it seems to be the best, so I will stick with it. Thanks, 123456!

I have one correction that I want to make from my initial post... I guess capturing in 640x480 resolution is not a SD(Standard Definition) though it is considered to be an NTSC resolution... Looks like it's suppose to be 720x480 and that the pixel ratio is 4:3 and aspect ratio is 8:9, and etc... confussing... Initially 640:480=4:3, so I thought it was recording at full SD resolution, but I guess not... Being able to capture in 720x480 resolution at non-interlaced would be the best, but since it can't... I guess 640x480 at non-interlaced would do and I really can't tell much difference... it's SD anyway... I guess it would matter more if it were HD.

I always convert with MPEG Streamclip and edit in VirtualDub.

Thread Information